I summarise today’s events in Tory Land because frankly, so much stuff happened I needed to take notes myself. What a mess.
1. Ed Conway [@EdConwaySky]. 🚨NEW🚨 On the @bankofengland intervention: Am told the BoE were responding to a “run dynamic” on pension funds – a wholesale equivalent of the run which destroyed Northern Rock. Had they not intervened, there would have been mass insolvencies of pension funds by THIS AFTERNOON. Twitter. Published September 28, 2022. https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1575128310740389889
2. Hannan D. Daniel Hannan: No, the pound isn’t crashing over a trifling batch of tax cuts. It’s because the markets are terrified of Starmer. Conservative Home. Published September 28, 2022. https://conservativehome.com/2022/09/28/daniel-hannan-no-the-pound-isnt-crashing-because-of-a-trifling-batch-of-tax-cuts/
3. Володимир Зеленський [@ZelenskyyUa]. Had a phone conversation with 🇬🇧 PM @trussliz. The UK has always been among the leaders in supporting Ukraine. We expect London’s leadership in reaction to Russian sham referenda as well. Defense and financial aid to Ukraine must be enhanced in response. Twitter. Published September 28, 2022. https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1575140579251556352
4. Teodorczuk T. Hedge fund boss Crispin Odey reveals political ambitions. https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/hedge-fund-boss-crispin-odey-reveals-political-ambitions-20180917
5. Kwasi Kwarteng to hold meeting with bankers as fallout from mini-budget continues | Politics News | Sky News. https://news.sky.com/story/kwasi-kwarteng-to-hold-meeting-with-city-bankers-as-fall-out-from-mini-budget-continues-12706734
6. Beth Rigby [@BethRigby]. Quick update from Treasury sources on chancellor and the economic plan. Told CX not resigning and there will be “no reversal of policy.” Twitter. Published September 28, 2022. https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1575135370181754881
7. ALASTAIR CAMPBELL [@campbellclaret]. Tory Party spin doctor just told me that they don’t know where Truss is, and they can’t find any MPs apart from Redwood and Bridgen to defend the government so they are trying to get the line running that the run on the £ is all Labour’s fault. “Bollocks but we’re desperate.” Twitter. Published September 28, 2022. https://twitter.com/campbellclaret/status/1575062726266671106